Friday, November 18, 2016

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure

Since Prof introduced great movies and books to us, I would like to share a great comic with you, which is JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, written by Hirohiko Araki.

Similar to Cloud Atlas, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure includes multiple stories across centuries. To summarise, it "tells the story of the Joestar family, a family whose various members discover they are destined to take down supernatural foes using unique powers that they possess. The manga is split up into 8 unique parts, each following the story of one member of the Joestar family, who inevitably has a name that can be abbreviated to the titular "JoJo". The first six parts of the series take place within a single continuity, while parts 7 and 8 take place in an alternate continuity." (Wikipedia).

In the comic, the protagonist can be a well educated English gentleman, can be Japanese high school students, can be a Italian mafia rookie, or can be a lady who is framed to be a criminal. But regardless of who they are, it is their way of living that makes the stories alive and attractive. Reading the comic, the idea of "I would like to live my life that way" keeping jumping in my mind.

Their attitude towards life can be summarised into two keywords, “gold spirit” and "dark will". The first term describes a positive attitude including kindness to people around and the courage to do what is right. The second term refers to the toughness to break though the obstacles.

Many of my friends have figures out what they want in life, but I am still not one of them. I only have a rough idea that I would like to be a man who is strong both physically and mentally. Then I guess I will be fine regardless of the environment my fate leads me in. Who knows? As the Unbearable Lightness of Being stated, “There is no means of testing which decision is better, because there is no basis for comparison. We live everything as it comes, without warning, like an actor going on cold. And what can life be worth if the first rehearsal for life is life itself? That is why life is always like a sketch. No, "sketch" is not quite a word, because a sketch is an outline of something, the groundwork for a picture, whereas the sketch that is our life is a sketch for nothing, an outline with no picture.” I guess the uncertainty of my life is what makes it interesting to explore =)

No comments:

Post a Comment