Monday, September 19, 2016

Lessons learnt from pitches

1. The word "free" has magic power in attracting people. The experiment mentioned by Patrick was quite inspiring. I think the strategy could be applied for onboarding users.

2. People will be more willing to donate money / free stuff if they know that it is for charity purpose rather than for some random strangers. For assignment 3, our group is doing something related to help fulfilling other people's wishes. And one of our main concern is on how to activate users. I think maybe we can reconsider the project scope to add in element like "help local charity organisations". It indeed sounds more attractive and it is more likely to get support from the society.

3. "Don't find target users for your app; find app for your target users". There were two great examples mentioned that indicated such principle. The first one is the Show My Turban site and the second one is the marriage agency for Indian. During my past barnstorming I mainly focus on the pain in my personal life which made my ideas limited. In the future I will also consider the problems faced by people whose life I truly understand. For example. students and teachers in Chinese high schools and NUS, people living in my hometown, etc.. Since I have a deep insight on their lives I guess I am able to come up with something that will make their life better.

4. Users may not use the app as you planned. I personally doesn't believe that the "anonymous Facebook Message“ idea will be successful. Similar functionality was implemented by Tecent QQ a few years ago and the feedback was quite negative since people felt offended and annoyed by mischief. The idea failed mainly because user didn't use the app as expected. I think it is important to think about all use cases for an app during brainstorming to ensure that all of them doesn't contradict with the main purpose of the app. But the good thing is that if one of the use cases contradict with the original ideas and it sounds fun we may create an app for that as well ><

No comments:

Post a Comment